Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Individualistic Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Thursday, January 8, 2009

On Obama's Doctor... And His Tyranny

The name of a medical doctor of Indian origin, Sanjay Gupta, has been doing the rounds as Obama’s choice for the post of Surgeon-General of the USA. As a libertarian, I do not see any reason why such a position in government should exist – but that apart, I was happy for a desi. That is, till I read his column in Time entitled “Why I would vote no on pot.” (Thanks to LRC.)

He begins by making some noises about Woodstock – as if ganja was discovered in the USA in 1968. He seems to be totally unaware of 4000 years of ganja use in India. He should be taken on a guided tour of every Indian “holy city” – from Haridwar to Varanasi, and from Ajmer to Gangotri – to see with his own eyes that ganja is “traditional” in Indian culture.

He notes the medical utility of ganja – against Alzheimer’s, against nausea during chemotherapy, against glaucoma – and then says he will still vote no because those who want to vote yes do not suffer from any of these diseases; they just want to get stoned legally. He thinks this should remain a crime. He knows nothing about the Rule of Law. He is the kind of doctor used to telling people what is “for their own good.” Such people invite tyranny with a clear conscience. But is he right? Is ganja smoking indeed injurious to the health? Allow me to relate the story of an 86-year old chillum smoker I met, who told me that he had been smoking half a tola of charas every day since the age of 11. And he pulled the chillum as hard as any young man could.

My 56-year old friend, Ustad, a grandfather and a keen smoker, once confided to me that he began smoking charas after stealing some from his father’s pocket. “Does your father still smoke?” I asked, and he replied in the affirmative. I asked him to inform me whenever his father was next in town, so that I could share a chillum with this old man.

And that is how I met this 86-year old great grandfather and shared a few chillums with him. From the strength with which he pulled on the chillum, it was evident that his lungs were fine. And from his deep conversation, quoting scriptures and ancient proverbs, it was evident that his mind was fine. From the fact that his little great grandson was on his lap, and he was blowing the smoke all over the kid, it was evident that he considered it harmless. Precisely what we call “tradition.”

Sanjay Gupta probably drinks alcohol.

But then, so do most of you.

Reminds me of an “East Meets West” postcard I saw in Goa: A white guy in lungi and chappals smoking a chillum, and a brownie in suit and tie drinking whisky.

Bum Lehri!

Gaarh de tumboo gehri!

6 comments:

  1. Sanjay fails to see the difference between law in spontaneous order and voluntary personal advice to individuals. In fact, typically engineers tend to make dangerous economists, so do doctors I suppose.

    good post, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it!...

    I would like to know how to send a letter to one of those White House personnel, and evoke a personal reply. Can you help?

    It has been years since I posted a letter to Clinton regarding the trade bar and sanctions that followed the BJP nuclear tests back in '98. Nobody replied.

    And ever since i came to realise how severe a crime it is in the US to smoke pot, Ive been up for it again!

    Well, even though I know it is kind of far-fetched to think it will bring about any change, I'd like to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apart from all other good cherecteristics, Ganja opens the third eye. Trinetra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perception my friend is more important than the fact, when it is about changing the psyche of the majority.
    A big thrust leads to bad ruptures and a sick memory, slow, steady and willing will endure and stay.

    ganja yes....but in a sublime way will have more puffing...any other way it will be just another joint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the Backgrond, I don't think he's a desi!

    ReplyDelete