Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Individualistic Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

No Fear


The Times of India lead editorial of today, on Chacha Manmohan's "meeting with editors," begins thus:

The prime minister's interaction with editors turned out to be an occasion to dispel the impression that the UPA-II government is drifting and to seize the initiative for the political executive. Manmohan Singh spoke on a host of issues and made it clear that he'll complete his term as prime minister...


I wouldn't bet on that!

But if you just sit in Nude Elly and write editorials every evening after spending the entire day meeting politicians and bureaucrats, you may be inclined to believe that this show can go on.

Or, worse still, that it must go on.

My advice to the citizenry is this: Think not of Nude Elly. Think of your own city or town, think of The Market and not our The State, think Economic Freedom, think Private Law, think Local Self-Government - and may the Force be with you.

What you need to do is overcome Fear and take Courage.

Here is something inspiring I read in Wickedness by Mary Midgley, the moral philosopher. In the discussion on Fear and Aggression, and why Aggression is NOT the only source of evil, she writes:

...Fear, like aggression, does unquestionably produce sin. Sheer cowardice, even without any other faults, can produce one of the most worthless lives imaginable. And, by inhibiting helpful action, it can also immensely harm other people.


DO NOT FEAR THE UNKNOWN FUTURE!

DO NOT FEAR OUR THE STATE!

Imagine, in Srinagar, they are throwing stones and bravely receiving bullets!

Reminds me of a poem by Emily Dickinson:

I took my power in my hand,
And went against the world;
'Twas not so much as David had,
But I was twice as bold.

I aimed my pebble, but myself
Was all the one that fell,
Was it Goliath was too large,
Or only I too small.


So, take Your Power into You Own Hands.

And TAKE COURAGE!

The words "Take Courage" are very important to me. I will never forget that cold, wet and gloomy winter night in London in 1989 when I was walking down the Fulham Road in a state of acute mental depression, for I had given up my safe and secure, pensionable government career and rushed into the intellectual world without a thought for the morrow. I was depressed because I was thinking of the morrow - which looked bleaker than the weather.

It was then that I saw a neon sign flashing above a pub. The neon sign said, "Take Courage." These words drew me into the pub and, when I inquired within as to what exactly that sign referred to, I was offered a pint of Courage Ale, which I immediately accepted. And then drank three or four more.

Worked on me like the magic potion Obelix fell into.

No comments:

Post a Comment