Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Individualistic Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Bus Driver - Of Our The State

I was at the dilapidated State Transport bus station in Udipi, waiting for my bus to Karwar. There was just about enough time for a quick lunch, so I popped into the restaurant there for some idlis. Around me were a few employees of the State-owned bus company, including the driver of the bus I was about to board.  I decided to give them my frank opinion of their employer. It was heartening to find that they all agreed with me -  including the restaurant-owner and his staff.

In a nutshell, I told them that if their State-owned bus company was privatised, all buses would be run by private companies - for a profit. As employees of profit-making private companies, they would be much better off than they were today, working for a State-owned firm that makes chronic losses. Further, I added, if the State invested all its money in good roads, their lives as bus-drivers would be far easier. Given the terrible roads of today, I told them, their daily grinds must be pure torture. They all nodded in agreement - and my waiter even asked me to petition The State accordingly.

And then I boarded the bus - a rickety-rackety swadeshi rattletrap, dirty and grimy, fitted with the most uncomfortable seats imaginable. The driver clambered onto his seat and started the engine, which groaned and moaned like a stricken beast. From my seat, I hollered out at the driver: If buses were private, you would be driving a Volvo. He looked back at me - and smiled.

Our journey began - and the road, the Notional Highway #17, was the pits. I sat and reflected on the only bus trip I had taken in Europe - from London to Frankfurt - and how easy it was on bus drivers there, given the excellent roads. Easy on passengers, too.

A few hours later, the bus stopped at some small town - another dilapidated bus station - and I got off to enjoy a smoke. Chanced upon my driver and entered into conversation with him once again.

I suggested that people like him were not much different from  jawans in the Army or constables in the State Police - who slog it out for poor pay while their bosses and their political masters make hay. He looked down at his khaki uniform - and nodded sagely.

I noticed this phenomenon in Gujarat too, during my recent trip there. In Gujarat, there are no private buses - all are State-owned. The buses are terrible, the bus stations are terrible, and the roads are terrible as well. The Customer gets screwed. And the bottom rung of State employees who do all the dog-work think themselves privileged!

In my life, I have worked a brief while for The State, spent some time with a firm that made losses, and some more time with a firm that made profits. Of these, the last was the best. I always advise youngsters  to work for successful, profit-making firms, and to shun State employment.

I have also closely interacted with a few Class IV employees of our The State - and was always left with the feeling that if they had opted for entrepreneurship instead, they would have been much better off, not only materially, but also spiritually.

In the bad old days, State employment was preferred for its "job security" - and for its perks like free housing and lifelong pensions. Today, these must be seen as a hoax - because our The State practices inflationism. This is a way of cheating all workers - including State employees. Class IV employees of our The State are cheated the most - since their meagre savings get eroded.

Thus, privatisation and a drastic cutting down of the State Budget, accompanied by a massive retrenchment of its work-force is not only in the interest of the general public; it is equally in the interest of the numberless lower-rung employees of The State.

If Liberty prevails, entrepreneurship will flourish, and many good jobs will be created.

With free trade across land and sea, the Consumption of all will improve dramatically. With their wages, all workers will be possessed of world-class "wage goods."

If the Budget of The State is cut down and inflationism ended, the poorest workers will also be able to convert their savings into Capital.

Jawans, sipahis, peons, railway karamcharis, Air India hostesses - all should see their employer as a beast, and opt out. Their trade unions should come out strongly in favour of the reforms I have suggested above.

Yes, I am an Enemy of the State - by which I mean an enemy of the monsters on top. I am not an enemy of the small guys.

I shot the Sheriff - but I did not shoot the deputy.

No comments:

Post a Comment