Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Individualistic Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hindu Terror? Or Terror On Hindus?

Last night, I was reading about two libertarian journalists of England in the 1720s - "The Indepent Whig" was their brand - and was quite struck by the strong anti-clericalism. It was quite clear then that the church and churchmen had to be put in their place; that religion was a matter of private conscience; that churchmen must not be allowed civil powers; that tolerance should prevail; and - this is a point they emphasised that really hit: Tyrants destroy religion.

Early this morning, at the tea shop, I encountered two elderly sadhus. Quite naturally, we began discussing bholay ki booti. One of them managed to unearth a little bit. We smoked. And then we talked some more - about the historical fact that the use of this herb is a very ancient Hindu tradition. We spoke of tobacco and alcohol - how they are abundant, and widely used. They said they were bound for a nearby ashram - and it is rumoured here that this ashram has BJP money in it. This state is ruled by BJP poster-boy Narendra Modi. That too, for quite a long time. But is this Hinduism? Or is this tyranny calling itself Religion?

After our cup of tea, I set off to Rajpipla, the nearest town, on a motorcycle. It was great fun being on a bike after a long time, zipping along empty, winding country roads, amidst lush green fields. Rajpipla is where the Maharajah of this area lived - till 1947, after which the IAS took over. I checked out his palace - must have been quite grand once. The view from the rear was fantastic - fields, jungles and hills beyond. No human habitation. I saw the State High School that the Maharajah had established in 1920 - and it is still quite magnificent. Also the college and the hospital. Passed an equestrian statue of one of the maharajahs - but the area is not being well-maintained. The town itself is quite a shambles. I drove through the markets, lined with shops, shops, and more shops - but no cafes, restaurants and (most certainly not!) bars where one could grab a small beer. The Maharajah had built a grand European Guest House in his time. Must have been possessed of a great bar, I'm positive.

I saw quite a few very old buildings in ruin. I wonder why. Rent control? Property disputes? I did not see any pretty, well laid out residential area. There are many slums. The internal roads suck.

Passed the ancient clock tower the Maharajah had built - a "public good" at a time when few owned watches. Of course, the clock no longer works! 

Inquired of an auto-rickshaw driver whether I could acquire some ganja. He obtained a bit for me - and, as everywhere in urban India, the stuff turned out quite bad. Bhoonsa maal, as the people say.

Inside the Maharajah's palace, there is a small Hindu temple. I wonder whether ganja was prohibited here before 1947. I sincerely doubt it. I'm positive opium must have been openly sold too.

So let's forget about "Hindu terror," shall we? What is really happening is "State terror on Hindus" - like sadhus.

What is the BJP's Religion?

I found an answer in Tehelka yesterday - an article on the destruction of 56 Christian churches in Karnataka by Bajrang Dal types. (And how the judge inquiring into it has a pro-BJP bias.) 

Today, I will read more of "The Independent Whig" on tyranny and its effects on religion.I shall cull some good quotes and post them for my reader soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment