Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Individualistic Austro-Libertarian Natural Order Philosophy From Indyeah

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Day The Music Died...



It was an excellent Sunday afternoon in Bangalore, beering, smoking and singing at The Sherlock Holmes Pub on Coles Road. After we were seated, some dudes with some chicks came in and seated themselves across us. Then, another guy joined them - a guy with a guitar. And would you believe it, very soon these guys abandoned their chicks and seated themselves across me - and I sang as he played. I kept time with my beer-mug. It was a Great Party.


Sometime later, the guy with the guitar said that people like him were NOT allowed to play live - and that he deliberately plays in public to defy the ban.


The next day, I read in the papers that discos are banned in Karnataka.


It may be the same in Pondicherry and Tamil Nadu, too.


Now, on my last day in the NIMHANS Hospital, there was Kannada Disco music playing in the reception area - and it was great.


And on two occasions here in Pondicherry I have heard Tamil Disco music - and it was great, too.


I see NO REASON why an entrepreneur cannot establish a Tamil or Kannada or even English disco - so that girls and guys can meet and dance, instead of just getting stuck with shaadi.com.


Yeah... these morons have killed the music.


Story of My Life.

1 comment:

  1. Sauvik , Yes for a long time live music in Bangalore was indeed banned. The rationale was that it would crack down on sleazy 'dance bars' and 'live band' joints that may serve as a front for other offences/misdemeanors. Musicians were affected for a long time (myself included) although now you will definitely find local artists/bands at pubs/bars still facing harassment from the police who claim we are a nuisance to the local residents. Added to which you will certainly find all drinking establishments asking for a last order as soon as the clock hits 10:30. Not a very encouraging ecosystem. Especially for a developed city.

    P.S - We met in SH on monday afternoon , I was in the guise of a traveler.

    ReplyDelete